Professor of Neurosurgery
University of MUHS, Nashik [Earlier Mumbai(Bombay) Unversity]
Full registration with MAHARASHTRA MEDICAL COUNCIL
Full time clinical and teaching position
Seth G S Medical College and King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai
University of Loyola, Chicago, U.S.A. May 2007
Semmes-Murphey, Memphis, U.S.A May, 2008.
GOA Medical College
P com artery Aneurysm Feb 2011
Corpus Callosal AVM March l 2011
Supra sellar Tumour ? Hypothalamic Optochiasmatic glioma April 2011
LEELABAI THACKERSEY COLLEGE OF NURSING
S N D T WOMEN’S University Mumbai
Life Member Neurological Society of India (Membership no. CNS - 025)
Life Member of Skull Base Surgery Society of India
Life Member Indian Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery
Life Member Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery
Life Member Indian Society for Stereotaxy and Functional Neurosurgery
Life Member Maharashtra Chapter of Neurological Surgeons
American Association of Neurological Surgeons
Associate Editor: Neurology India
(Official Journal of the Neurological Society of India)
- Teaching Post-Graduate students and student nurses at S.C.T.I.M.S.T., Thiruvanathapuram as Senior Neurosurgical Resident from February 1989 to January 1992.
- Teaching ( University of Bombay now shifted to Health Univ. of Nashik)
M.Ch. Neurosurgery students registered with University of Bombay 2nd and 3rd year M.B.B.S. students registered with University of Bombay Post-Graduate Students: General surgery's, Orthopedics, Anesthesiology and Radiology residents registered with University of Bombay Student and Staff nurses posted in Neurosurgery
* May '92 - January '93 at Grant Medical College, Bombay
* February '93 till October'95 at Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College
* Bombay November, '95 till date at Seth G S Medical College, Bombay
Posts held after M.S. General Surgery in reverse chronological order
- Professor of Neurosurgery King Edward Memorial Hospital & Seth G S Medical College, Mumbai from 11-03-03 onwards.
- Consultant Neurosurgeon Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai from April 1999 up to March 2011.
- Associate Professor: Neurosurgery King Edward Memorial Hospital from 16-04-98 to10-03-2003
( Bombay University now shifted to Health Univ of Nashik)
- Lecturer/Junior Consultant Neurosurgery King Edward Memorial Hospital from
27-10-95 to 15-04-98 ( Bombay University)
- Lecturer/Junior Consultant: Neurosurgery; LTM General Hospital from 13-2-93 to 26-10-95
( Bombay University)
- Lecturer/Junior Consultant: Neurosurgery; J.J. Hospital from 18-5-92 to 15-6-92, 17-6-92 to 31-7-92, 1-8-92 to 28-11-92 11-12-92 to 31-12-92 &
2-1-93 to 30-1-93 ( Bombay University)
- Senior Registrar Neurosurgery Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute from
1-2-89 to 31-1-92 (SCTIMST, Thiruvananthapuram; Autonomous)
1. External Examiner: M.Ch. Neurosurgery Exam, University of Delhi, 25th to 27th April 2005.
2. Chief Examiner: M. Ch. Neurosurgery Exam. Mumbai University. 20th Jan. 2006.
3. Examiner: M.Ch. Neurosurgery Exam, University of Mumbai, 17th & 18th July 2006, Mumbai Hospital, Mumbai.
4. External Examiner: M.Ch. Neurosurgery Exam, A I I M S , New Delhi June 2007.
5. Chief Examiner and Convener: M. Ch. Neurosurgery Exam. Maharastra University of Health Sciences at K E M Mumbai, June. 2009.
6. Chief Examiner and Convener: M. Ch. Neurosurgery Exam. Maharastra University of Health Sciences at K E M Mumbai, November, 2009.
7. External Examiner : GOA MEDICAL COLLEGE Bambolim, Goa. M Ch Neurosurgery June 2011.
8. External Examiner: M.Ch. Neurosurgery Exam, A I I M S, 5th – 8th Dec 2011, New Delhi
Medical Council of India – Inspector for Amruta, Department of Neurosurgery Cochin, M Ch program 2010.
Appraiser for D National Board trainees in Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre.
| SURGICAL EXPERIENCE
I have performed both, elective and emergency operations dealing with trauma, tumors, congenital and developmental anomalies, vascular and infective lesions and degenerative diseases.
As a Professor at the King Edward Memorial Hospital, the largest Municipal Hospital in Mumbai which caters to a population of over 20 million people, I need to perform surgeries on a wide spectrum of cases in neurosurgical practice. I am, however, drawn to the challenges of vascular surgery and lesions involving the sellar and suprasellar locations such as giant craniopharyngiomas. I fancy surgical excision of lesions in the peri-sylvian area particularly around the speech area and the motor strip. I also like to operate on intraventricular tumors which are often huge in our part of the world. Colloid cysts and posterior third ventricular tumors are also part of my areas of interest.
I was fortunate to receive training as a neurosurgeon at Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvanathapuram, which is the premiere institute in the country for Vascular Neurosurgery and large skull base tumors. I have had microsurgical training in different approaches to third ventricular, sellar / suprasellar, pineal region cerebello-pontine angle and orbital tumors. I was also posted at the National Institute for Mental health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, where I was taught aspects of Neurosurgery including trauma, peripheral nerve surgery and stereotaxy which were complementary to Sree Chitra Tirunal.
I was, then, at the famous Grant Medical College Mumbai as Lecturer where I performed surgery as a Junior Consultant and supervised resident neurosurgeons in their training. I, then moved to Lokmanya Tilak Memorial General Hospital, Mumbai, where I gained experience in spinal surgery which included anterior approach to cervical, trans-thoracic approach to dorsal spine and retroperitoneal and posterior approaches to lumbar spine. This hospital being the first General Hospital on the National Highway exit of the city provided the department with poly trauma and head and spinal injury cases. I therefore along with other orthopedic and general surgeons operated on fractures of the spine and performed various stabilization procedures. This also inuded corpectomy, inter-body fusion, pedicular screws and plate and lateral mass fusion.
I was then invited to join the Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai which is the foremost cancer hospital in the country where I perform anterior/antero-lateral craniofacial and lateral temporal bone resections and pre-auricular infratemporal / transsphenoidal / transoral approaches to skull base tumor along with my Head, Neck and E N T colleagues.